Liaison officers at the Phillippo Baptist Church in Spanish Town were bitter as they told The Gleaner that several persons, who had come to vote were being turned away with claims that their names were not on the voters list. The officers claimed that they escorted several persons and did find their names on the list after they had initially been turned away. “A eleven somebody we count say them name not on the list and when we come back and go up there with them we found their names,” Liaison officer, Joy Francis told The Gleaner. Francis said the presiding officer was in charge and added that even if their names were not on the list there was a supplemental list, which had their names. “From you sell your vote you will sell your soul,” another told The Gleaner.
Saturday9 a.m.: Liverpool vs Newcastle10 p.m.: Aston Villa vs SouthamptonSunday8:05 a.m.: Sunderland vs Arsenal10:15 a.m.: Leicester vs Swansea SPORTSMAX 2
World Championships FactVeteran sprinter Veronica Campbell-Brown has won nine medals overall at IAAF World Outdoor Championships – two gold (100m in 2007 and 200m in 2011) and seven silver.
Jamaica’s Pocket Rocket, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, grabbed the headlines at the 29th edition of the Atletica Mondiale meeting in Padua yesterday, when she broke Merlene Ottey’s meeting record in the 100m.Just three days after winning at the IAAF Diamond League final in Zurich, the double Olympic 100m champion and seven-time World Championships gold medallist clocked 10.98 into a -0.8m/s headwind to take one hundredth of a second off Ottey’s mark.”It was a big surprise to hear that I broke Ottey’s meeting record. I did not know about that,” said Fraser-Pryce. “I was excited to be here. I hope to have the chance to come back to compete in this meeting next year.”Natasha Morrison finished fourth in a time of 11.05 seconds.In the men’s 100m, Qatar’s world indoor bronze medallist, Femi Ogunode, improved Nesta Carter’s meeting record by clocking 10.07 into a -1.1m/s headwind, edging Worlds finalist Mike Rodgers (10.12).Carter, whose previous meeting record was 10.09, had to settle for third place in 10.34.”I feel good about breaking the meeting record, but I wanted to run faster,” said Ogunode, who holds the Asian record of 9.91.Rasheed Dwyer was fourth overall after winning heat one with 10.37 seconds, while Julian Forte, who was last in heat two in 10.56, finished eighth overall.- Diego Sampaolo for the IAAF
Group C Kingston Technical 0 Innswood 1 Ardenne 1 Eltham 0 Denham Town 0 St George’s College 2 Group F Ascot 1 Jonathan Grant 3 Norman Manley 1 Spanish Town 0 Vauxhall 2 Excelsior 0 Shamar Bennett scored with a spectacular 25-metre free-kick yesterday to hand Ardenne High their first win in the 2015 ISSA/Flow Manning Cup football competition. Bennett’s 76th minute strike was enough to give Ardenne a 1-0 win over Eltham High. It was Ardenne’s first win from two games. They previously lost 2-0 to Innswood High. The match was contested at the Ardenne playing field, which turned out to be in dire need of rehabilitation as the mainly dirt surface fully reflected the drought conditions the island has been experiencing. The action switched swiftly from end to end after the opening whistle as both teams struggled to maintain possession. Ardenne, with the home support, went closest to scoring on a number of occasions early in the match with headers going just wide and just over the cross bar. Tactical substitutions early into the second half swung the game into Ardenne’s favour, and saw them press for the win. Eventually, substitute Bennett went for glory after a foul and got the winner for the Ardenne Road-based school. “My teammates came to me and said any free-kick on the right is mine, it’s something I practice in training so I just went for it today and scored,” he revealed following the game. “Now we hope to go to St George’s College on Saturday and earn another three points. No joke thing,” he added. There were a total of five yellow cards issued in the contest. Coach Junior Bennett believes yesterday’s win signalled the real start of Ardenne’s campaign. “I thought in the first game the guys were a bit nervous, but in this game they held their own and fought very hard. They deserved to win, we will have to work on some more combinations in the offensive third,” he outlined. Meanwhile, Eltham’s Gregory Allen said he was disappointed with his team for not doing things right. “At one point we had the game, but we just gave up a simple chance. At half-time I spoke to the youngsters and told them to minimise the free-kicks especially around the box and still we met our demise by the free-kick,” he bemoaned. Yesterday’s results TODAY’S GAMES: Campion College vs Camperdown Waterford vs Kingston College Clan Carthy vs St Catherine St Catherine vs Jamaica College Charlie Smith vs St Mary’s College St Andrew Technical vs Holy Trinity Bridgeport vs St Jago Mona vs Wolmer’s All games start at 3:30 p.m. Group B Papine 0 Hydel 1 Greater Portmore 0 Dunoon 0 Haile Selassie 4 Cumberland 0
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (CMC): The chief executive of the International Cricket Council (ICC), Dave Richardson, is suggesting that young West Indies bowler Keemo Paul should have warned Zimbabwe batsman Richard Ngarava before removing his bails in an incident that sparked controversy during the recent ICC Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh. The incident occurred during a crucial final group game between the two teams with Caribbean side needing just three runs to win with a wicket remaining. Paul clinched victory for West Indies by running Ngarava out at the bowler’s end, while running in to bowl the first delivery of the final over with replays suggesting Ngarava had strayed only marginally from the crease. “My personal view is that where the batsmen aren’t specifically trying to steal runs, the option is with the fielding side to at least warn the batsmen,” Richardson said at a press conference on Monday. “This is often down to the spirit of cricket, and how the individual players see the match. We would like to encourage spirit of cricket at all times.” ICC laws state that the bowler can claim a run-out by whipping off the bails if the non-striker is out of the crease. However, some officials argue that Ngarava’s intentions didn’t seem sinister since he was not attempting to claim undue advantage. “There are other modes of dismissal. If you’re a batsman, you’re interfering when you pick up the ball without asking permission from the fielding side. Strictly speaking, that is illegal and you could be dismissed. But generally, the players don’t take that action,”said the ICC chief executive. “Running the batsman out at the bowler’s end is similar to that. Sure, if the batsman is taking unfair advantage, please run him out. If not, the best course of action is to warn him before taking any action.”
President of the MVP Track Club Bruce James is pleased with news that embattled club member Nesta Carter will be able to resume competition even as his legal team finalises submissions for his Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) appeal. Carter was disqualified from the 2008 Olympic Games after retroactively testing positive from those Games, for the prohibited substance methylhexanamine. He was last month stripped of his and the country’s 4x100m relay gold medal won at Beijing 2008. However, in a bit of good news for the 31-year-old sprinter, the IAAF yesterday confirmed to the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA), that the 2013 World Championships 100m bronze-medal winner is eligible to compete pending the CAS procedure. “We are pleased with the IAAF’s position on Nesta’s ability to compete and the fact that he has not been suspended from competition, based on the communication received from the JAAA based on what the IAAF said,” James told The Gleaner yesterday. FIRST RACE Carter will compete in Montego Bay this Saturday at the Milo Western Relays as a member of MVP’s 4x100m team. It will be his first race in almost 17 months. Carter last competed at the IAAF Rieti World Challenge meet in Italy on September 13, 2015. The JAAA yesterday received confirmation from the IAAF outlining that Carter had not been issued a suspension after his retroactive anti-doping violation. JAAA president Dr Warren Blake told The Gleaner that he had received confirmation from the IAAF after writing to CEO Olivier Gers and enquiring about Carter’s eligibility to compete. Gers, who was in the island recently as a guest at the RJR Sports Foundation National Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year awards, and who also had meetings with Blake and other track and field interests during his brief visit to the island yesterday responded to the JAAA president outlining that Carter was free to compete. “It appears Mr Carter is not provisionally suspended and is eligible to compete in athletics competition pending the CAS procedure,” Gers wrote in his response to the JAAA’s query after consultation with the IAAF’s Medical and Anti-Doping Commission. Meanwhile, Carter’s legal team is currently finalising its submission to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to appeal the sprinter’s Beijing 2008 disqualification. Carter’s team has until next week Tuesday, February 14, to fully submit his appeal to CAS.
“We could [change the lineup], but it’s no guarantee because that will be determined in the team managers’ meeting the night before,” Reyes said in a press conference Saturday at Sky Bar in Marco Polo Ortigas in Pasig City.“So there has to be a very good reason and a very good excuse so that’s going to depend on boss Butch Antonio, but our intent is to have Mac Belo in the place of CBC (Cruz) in the Southeast Asian Games lineup primarily because there’s a chance that he’s not going to make it in Kuala Lumpur,” Reyes added.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Cruz is also part of Gilas Pilipinas’ roster in the Fiba Asia Cup, which is set on Aug. 8-20. The Filipinos’ SEA Games campaign opens on Aug. 20 against Thailand, a team which Reyes still sees as a “strong force to reckon with in Southeast Asia”Fil-German Christian Standhardinger, who is the team’s naturalized player in place of Andray Blatche, could also miss the tiff against Thailand due to the same conflict. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMac Belo could get a crack at a third gold medal in the Southeast Asian Games next month in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Philippine team coach Chot Reyes is looking at the possibility of tapping Belo as a replacement for Carl Bryan Cruz due to a scheduling conflict with the Fiba Asia Cup in Beirut, Lebanon also slated in August.ADVERTISEMENT UP ends PVL Open stint with squeaker over Power Smashers McGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC return MOST READ LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Kawhi Leonard, Clippers rally to beat Pelicans Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ ‘I’m out!’: PewDiePie releases last video before taking break from YouTube Indian national gunned down in Camarines Sur LeBron James scores 31 points, Lakers beat Rockets Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)08:07Athletes treated to a spectacle as SEA Games 2019 officially ends06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball05:21Drama in karate: Tsukii ‘very sad’ over coach’s bullying, cold shoulder03:24PH’s James Palicte boxing light welterweight final (HIGHLIGHTS) Sonny Barrios, the executive director of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, said changing lineups in the SEA Games is not an easy process.“Changing the lineup in the Southeast Asian Games is not simple even if you want to change,” he said. “It’s discretionary on the part of the organizers in the Southeast Asian Games. Even if you want to change and even if the player is really injured, if they won’t allow it, they won’t allow it and that’s the iffy part about it.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’
787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano PH athletes to help run 2019 SEA Games Teen gunned down in Masbate Singapore, which has won every water polo goal since the SEA Games started in 1977, had three goals coming from Koh Jian Ying, two from Loh Zhi Zhi and one each from Ooi Yee Jia and Sean Ang Wei Min.The Philippines were just one goal behind, 6-5, four minutes left in the match.It was the country’s second defeat after a rousing start over Thailand.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Albay to send off disaster response team to Batangas Vilma Santos, Luis Manzano warn public of fake account posing as her MOST READ 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano 2 nabbed in Bicol drug stings Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend PH reinforcer Dale Evangelista suffered a concussion after getting head butted.“It’s a good thing it wasn’t cut,” said the burly Evangelista. “I think we scared them today.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’When asked if he was able to get back at his Singaporean culprit, Evangelista said: “I was hitting him good even before we headbutted me.”Mark Jerwin Valdez and Reynaldo Salonga Jr., accounted for two goals apiece, while Mummar Alamara had one marker. Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)08:07Athletes treated to a spectacle as SEA Games 2019 officially ends06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball05:21Drama in karate: Tsukii ‘very sad’ over coach’s bullying, cold shoulder03:24PH’s James Palicte boxing light welterweight final (HIGHLIGHTS) Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Photo from Kuala Lumpur SEA Games Website.KUALA LUMPUR — The Philippines figured in a bruising match against perennial champion Singapore before dropping a close 7-5 defeat in the Southeast Asian Games water polo competition.Pushed to the wall by the Filipinos’ all-out offensive, the Singaporeans resorted to highly physical style that resulted in several exclusive calls (temporary ejection) from both parties.ADVERTISEMENT View comments
MOST READ Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ “She knows that she’s good at it and it’s a means to an end,” said Cintamoni who bared that Kaitlin is committed to University of Oklahoma for her athletic scholarship.READ: Gymnast captures Philippines’ 4th gold in SEA GamesCintamoni, who is now project director for Infinite Bounds Gymnastics, said her elder son took up swimming and it was Kaitlin who dabbled in gymnastics.“She also took up dancing and swimming,” said Cintamoni. “It was only last April when we learned that she can compete for the Philippines.”Kaitlin is entered in beam and floor events. Of the three events Kaitlin is competing in, Cintamoni said her daughters favorite is the beam.ADVERTISEMENT National Historical team rescues Amorsolos, artifacts from Taal Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)08:07Athletes treated to a spectacle as SEA Games 2019 officially ends06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball05:21Drama in karate: Tsukii ‘very sad’ over coach’s bullying, cold shoulder03:24PH’s James Palicte boxing light welterweight final (HIGHLIGHTS) Perlas rebounds, routs Myanmar by 90 points 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano 2 nabbed in Bicol drug stings Vilma Santos, Luis Manzano warn public of fake account posing as her LATEST STORIES “That’s where she won gold medals in the States,” said the proud mother. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Albay to send off disaster response team to Batangas View comments READ: Young gymnast captures PH’s fifth gold medal“She can do straight cartwheels. One time she made a pull-up in a bar and hold, and I never taught anything her yet at that point. I was like, ‘you want to take up gymnastics?’” recalled Cintamoni.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Now her daughter, at 17, is a newly minted SEA Games uneven bar champion right on her first try. It was the same event Cintamoni scored gold back in 1995 and bronze in 1997.Cintamoni dela Cruz-De Guzman and gold medalist daughter Kaitlin. Photo from Marc ReyesThe De Guzmans relocated to Rockwall, Texas, when Kaitlin was eight and there, she continued her training and eventually competed with Metroplex Gymnastics. OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Teen gunned down in Masbate Kaitlin de Guzman of the Philippines competes in uneven bars category of women’s artistic gymnastics competition of the 29th Southeast Asian Games Tuesday at the Malaysia Trade and Exhibition Center in Kuala Lumpur. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO/SEA GAMES POOLKUALA LUMPUR—Cintamoni dela Cruz-De Guzman knew her daughter Kaitlin had what it takes to become a champion when the latter was just four.A former preschool teacher who often towed Kaitlin to her class, the ex-Southeast Asian Games gold medalist said she marveled at the ease with which Kaitlin performed gymnastics stunts.ADVERTISEMENT