Madeleine McCann detectives may apply for more Home Office funding for outstanding

first_imgMadeleine McCann, who was allegedly abducted on May 3, 2007Credit:REAL MADRID TV/HANDOUT Kate and Gerry McCannCredit:Niall Carson/PA Wire This came seven months after the investigation team was scaled back drastically to just four officers.Earlier this month, the Sunday Mirror also reported that forensic investigations by the team had ended.Madeleine vanished at the age of three while on holiday with her parents in Portugal in 2007 and, despite a high-profile international hunt, no trace has ever been found.Hopes were high when the UK investigation into the little girl’s disappearance was launched in 2011, with Scotland Yard detectives later highlighting a sex offender who had targeted British families with young children staying in villas in the same area where Madeleine was last seen.Despite no obvious progress since then, earlier this year the head of Scotland Yard’s murder squad, Detective Chief Superintendent Mick Duthie, remained optimistic.He said: “There is ongoing work. There is always a possibility that we will find Madeleine and we hope that we will find her alive.” A force spokesman said: “Whilst there remains outstanding work on this case, the Metropolitan Police Service will remain in dialogue with the Home Office regarding the continuation of funding.”The British investigation, Operation Grange, was expected to be wound up after Scotland Yard boss Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said in May that British investigators had one remaining line of inquiry to follow and unless any new evidence came to light the probe would finish. Madeleine McCann, who was allegedly abducted on May 3, 2007center_img Kate and Gerry McCann Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. Detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have “outstanding work” left to do on the inquiry and may apply for more Home Office funding.In April, then-home secretary Theresa May granted the team £95,000 to keep the investigation going, with the cash expected to last until October.On Wednesday, Scotland Yard said it would talk to the Home Office about funding.last_img read more

Kibo awards second EPC power line contract for Mbeya Coal to Power

first_imgKibo Mining PLC, the multi-asset Africa-focused energy and resource company, announces that the Company has awarded SEPCO III, Kibo’s Chinese development partner, the second lot of the Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) power contract involving the construction of the Power Line that will evacuate power from the Mbeya Power Plant in the Songwe District of Tanzania to the TANESCO Mbeya sub-station.Originating from the past four weeks’ intensive engagement with the Tanzania Electricity Supply Company (TANESCO) on the development of a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) for the Mbeya Coal to Power Project (MCPP), the company met with SEPCO III at their Qingdao corporate headquarters to:Update SEPCO III on progress with PPA negotiations;Revalidate the existing EPC contract price for MCPP;Integrate and align PPA technical requirements with EPC-contract provisions; andDiscuss broader project development co-operation with the objective to expand the existing co-operation agreement to, amongst other matters, also include the company’s Mabesekwa project in Botswana.During the above referred meetings, the company and SEPCO III also decided that sufficient progress has been made with the PPA discussions and that it would be prudent to sign Lot 2 of the EPC-contract with SEPCO III. The power line construction contract is the second lot of the EPC contractual work as outlined in the announcement dated 29 August 2017. Kibo has a longstanding relationship with Chinese company SEPCO III for the development of the Mbeya Coal to Power Plant that is of key strategic importance in reducing Tanzania’s critical power deficit.Louis Coetzee, CEO of Kibo Mining, said: “We are delighted to continue working with SEPCO III as our designated EPC partner. The signing of this second lot of the EPC is the conclusion of discussions with SEPCO III that occurred last week in China, during which several strategic decisions were taken with regard to the further development of the MCPP as well as our future strategic co-operation with SEPCO III. Together with all our development partners we are working all hours to complete the PPA as soon as possible. Over the past few weeks we have once again been reminded of the significant importance of the MCPP, both as a strategic energy project as well as a socio-economic development project, and how critically important it is to spend enough time to make sure that we get it right the first time. The PPA process is in a very sensitive phase of its development and this requires the utmost patience, consideration and discretion from all stakeholders.”last_img read more