Finding enough skilled workers poses a big challenge to labour market

first_imgIt is believed then even if just two of the now 21 proposed west coast LNG projects gets off the ground, more than 5,000 permanent resident workers and up to 18,000 provisional workers would be required.As to be expected, Peace River North MLA Pat Pimm is solidly behind the pilot project.However, we have nothing yet from the BC Federation of Labor, although President Irene Lanzinger is said to be studying the proposal and could have something to say about it later this week. In a news release near the end of last week, the city provided more information regarding its senior government selection, as one of the communities being asked to consider, developing a pilot project to among other things address provincial labor market challenges.It says the regional economic development office has tracked over $200 million in investments that have not proceeded over the last year due to a lack of skilled workers.“There are specific skilled workers who are in high demand in our region,”  Director of Strategic Services Moira Green says. “This project is proposed to assist in the recruitment and – just as importantly – retention of those workers and their families.”- Advertisement -Earlier, Mayor Ackerman emphasized this program is separate from the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, and the news release listed five specific purposes of the pilot.In addition to addressing labour market challenges they are, improving retention of immigrants in the community, developing community partnerships to provide support for newcomers, enhancing existing support services, and providing a model that can be used in other communities.Northeast BC reportedly attracts less than 2% of the total number of immigrants, who come to the province, but going forward there are now plans for 57 major projects in the region.Advertisementlast_img read more

Ghanaian FA names new boss after graft scam

first_img0Shares0000Kurt Okraku (R) was elected the new head of the Ghanaian FA after the body was rocked by a corruption scandal © AFP / CRISTINA ALDEHUELAACCRA, Ghana, Oct 25 – The Ghanaian Football Association on Friday named a new president more than a year after a corruption scandal forced a major shake-up of the game in the West African nation.Kurt Okraku — chief executive of local Premier League club Dreams FC — filled the position left vacant since Kwesi Nyantakyi stepped down after an undercover documentary showed him soliciting kickbacks worth millions of dollars. Okraku got the nod from the 120 delegates after beating former FA vice president George Afriyie at a second round of voting.The expose by journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas rocked football in Ghana and led to the creation of a “normalisation committee” to lead reforms in the FA before a new president could be chosen.Ghana’s government said the revelations in 2018 had exposed “gross malfunctioning… characterised by widespread fraud, corruption and bribery” at the country’s FA.Nyantakyi was banned from football for life by the sport’s world governing body FIFA last October after being found guilty of bribery and corruption.The sting also saw a string of referees banned for life in Ghana and football officials in a number of other African countries sanctioned.0Shares0000(Visited 12 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Ministers set to discuss timing of carbon tax legal challenges during meeting

first_imgSASKATOON — Attorneys general from Alberta and Ontario say they will discuss the timeline of the different legal challenges launched against the federal carbon tax when they meet in Saskatoon today.The two justice ministers will be joined by their legal teams and their counterparts from New Brunswick and Saskatchewan.Saskatchewan is hosting the meeting to discuss the appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada. It argues a federally imposed carbon tax on consumers is unconstitutional, but lost its case in a 3-2 split decision in its own appeal court.The provincial government appealed to the Supreme Court and says it has a tentative hearing date set for Dec. 5.Alberta Justice Minister Doug Schweitzer says his government is trying to play catch-up to Saskatchewan and Ontario when it comes to mounting its own legal challenge.He says it’s important for the ministers to compare notes about what they’re hearing from their legal teams and he wants the provinces to work together so that the matter is heard by the Supreme Court in a “co-ordinated and thoughtful way.”Schweitzer says he wants Alberta’s case heard by the Alberta Appeal Court before the country’s highest court rules on the issue, so the Supreme Court has the opportunity to consider the province’s evidence when it makes its decision.“We’re trying to work out (the) strategy to make sure each province can bring forward its strongest case to the Supreme Court,” he said.Ontario Attorney General Doug Downey says his government has until August to file a notice of appeal to the Supreme Court after that province’s appeal court upheld the federal carbon tax in a split decision.“It’s my understanding that (Saskatchewan) may be looking to have some of the cases consolidated so that … the Supreme Court’s hearing more than one at a time,” said Downey.He said there are pros and cons about presenting the cases together, but wouldn’t comment on his government’s preference or strategy.“From what I understand Saskatchewan is asking for an extension or for more time.”— by Stephanie Taylor of The Canadian PressThe Canadian Presslast_img read more

Five Bahamians Invested as Knights and Ladies of the Order of the

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#MagneticNewsMedia TCI Premier blasts Opposition side for “slop” information, sets it straight in HOA Nearly 30 Haitians caught following illegal landing in Nassau, says Defence Force Caption:Five Bahamians: Monsignor Alfred Culmer, Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Nassau and Pastor of St. Joseph’s Parish, Basil and Cheryl Albury of St. Anselm’s Parish, Patricia Coakley of St. Joseph’s Parish and Elma Garraway of the Church of the Resurrection were invested as Knights and Ladies of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem during ceremonies at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City by the Grand Master of the Order, Edwin Cardinal O’Brien on Friday, November 18, 2016.  They join Burton and Camille Hall who were admitted to the Order in 2009 and who how hold the rank of Knight Commander and Lady Commander, respectively, and Deacon Michael Checkley, Administrator of Holy Name Parish in Bimini.  Pictured from left to right are Burton Hall, Camille Hall, Monsignor Culmer, Elma Garraway, The Most Reverend Patrick Pinder, S.T.D., C.M.G Archbishop of Nassau, Patricia Coakley, Cheryl Albury and Basil Albury, at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral on Friday November 26, 2016.(PHOTO/Peter Ramsay)center_img Bahamas Police Commissioner Greenslade gone to UK, appointed as High Commissioner Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNew York City, NY, November 28, 2016 – Five Bahamians were made Knights and Ladies of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre during ceremonies at St Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City on Friday, November 18, 2016.Monsignor Alfred Culmer, Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Nassau and Pastor of St Joseph’s Parish, Basil and Cheryl Albury of St Anselm’s Parish, Patricia Coakley of St Joseph’s Parish and Elma Garraway of the Church of the Resurrection were invested as Knights and Ladies of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.The ceremonies took place at St Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City by the Grand Master of the Order, Edwin Cardinal O’Brien in the presence of Timothy Cardinal Dolan, Archbishop of New York and Grand Prior of the Order’s Eastern Lieutenancy of the United States.In the Archdiocese of Nassau they join Burton and Camille Hall who were admitted to the Order in 2009 and who now hold the rank of Knight Commander and Lady Commander, respectively, and Deacon Michael Checkley, Administrator of Holy Name Parish in Bimini, who was admitted to the Order in his native Canada and who now holds the rank of Knight Grand Cross.The Order of the Holy Sepulchre is a Roman Catholic Order of Knighthood that traces its roots to circa 1099 under Duke Godfrey of Bouillon, “Defender of the Holy Sepulchre”, one of the leaders of the First Crusade.It is the only order of chivalry, together with the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, that is recognised and protected by the Holy See.  The Pope is sovereign of the order.The order today is estimated to have some 30,000 members in 56 lieutenancies around the world. As there is not yet a lieutenancy in our region, at the instance of Archbishop of Nassau, Archbishop Patrick C. Pinder, STD, CMG, has been included with those states, which comprise the Order’s Eastern Lieutenancy of the United States, the Catholic Church in The Bahamas having historical ties with the Church in New York.Admission into the Order means taking on a commitment for life to be a witness to the Faith, to lead an exemplary Christian life of continuing charity in support of the Christian communities in the Holy Land, and to maintain the true charitable commitment of a Christian. The purpose of an individual in joining the Order is to serve the Catholic Church and to support the efforts of the Church and the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem to maintain the Christian presence in the Holy Land.Within the Catholic Church, members of the Order are entitled to use the courtesy titles “Sir” and “Lady” (or “Dame” with effect from 2017). Recommended for youlast_img read more

Mourinho explains Fred absence for Man United

first_imgManchester United boss Jose Mourinho has no plans to use Fred until his side are defensively strongerThe Brazilian midfielder arrived at Old Trafford in the summer from Shakhtar Donetsk in a £52m deal.But life at United hasn’t gone to plan for Fred with just 10 appearances in all competitions this season and he hasn’t featured in the club’s last four Premier League matches.“Step by step,” said Mourinho on the club website, about Fred’s adaption.harry maguire, manchester UnitedMaguire says United need to build on today’s win George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Harry Maguire wants his United teammates to build on the victory over Leicester City.During the summer, Harry Maguire was referred to as the ultimate…“You also have other players at other clubs that needed their time and you have some of them that play even less than what Fred is playing.“I think Fred [will play more], when the team is defensively stronger and doesn’t need in midfield people that are more worried about giving some balance to the team than being involved in the creation and attacking dynamics.“The day we are stronger defensively, I think the horizons for Fred change completely.”United will host Fulham at Old Trafford this Saturday in the Premier League.last_img read more

County unemployment rate rose slightly for second consecutive month

first_imgCounty unemployment rate rose slightly for second consecutive month Posted: August 16, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, Updated: 3:04 PM SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – San Diego County’s non-seasonally adjusted unemployment rate rose to 3.6% in July, the second consecutive month with an increase, according to data released today by the California EconomicDevelopment Department.The unemployment rate in the San Diego-Carlsbad region rose from a revised 3.3% in June to 3.6% last month. The rate steadily declined for most of the year’s first half but has now increased by nearly a full percentage pointfrom 2.7% in May to last month’s figure.The county’s total nonfarm employment dipped by 7,200 jobs, from 1,517,200 in June to 1,510,000 last month. Farm jobs held steady at 9,000 month- over-month.Several industries showed modest job gains in July, but those gains were wiped away by government entities shedding 14,500 jobs in the county, most of them education jobs during the summer months. The construction, leisure and hospitality, professional and business services and financial industries all added at least 1,000 jobs in July, according to the EDD.Despite the month-over-month job losses, the county’s unemployment rate is the same as last year’s July estimate of 3.6%. In that time, nonfarm industries have added nearly 30,000 jobs while farm jobs have fallen from 9,500 last July to 9,000 last month.Nonfarm jobs are up by 29,700 from 1,480,300 in July 2018 to 1,510,000 last month, with multiple industries showing gains of 3,000 jobs or more. Government jobs increased the most of any industry, adding 9,100 jobs, while professional and business services jobs increased by 8,400.The trade, transportation and utilities industry lost the most jobs year-over-year, shedding 3,000. The financial and information industries also lost 700 and 300 jobs, respectively.Statewide unemployment rose to a seasonally adjusted 4.1% in July, tying a record low.Nationwide, unemployment rose to an even 4% in July, up from 3.8% in June and down from 4.1% in June 2018. center_img KUSI Newsroom August 16, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Gold Demand in India to Rise to 4Year High in Second Half

last_img

India defence ministry website hacked 3 other govt websites down

last_img