A $356 million contract for the construction of the Public Health Ministry’s head office is one of several multi-million-dollar contracts that have been approved by cabinet for the 2019 fiscal year. Combined, these contracts cost $3.8 billion.Fire razed the top flat of the Sophia drop in centre in 2016On Friday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon read out a litany of new contracts. Of note is the fact that several of them feature increased costs from the original price tags. In the case of the contract for phase one the Public Health Ministry head office, this was awarded to Chung Global Enterprises.Other contracts which were awarded included a contract for the Sophia Drop- in Centre, which was almost gutted by a fire in 2016. That contract is worth some $219 million, which turns out to be a revised sum.“For the construction of a Drop-in Centre at Lot C Sophia, Ministry of Social Protection… this is a variation on the sum based on the additional work to be done on the building. So the original sum was $181 million, and the new sum is $219 million. That contract was awarded to PD Contracting,” Harmon revealed.“For the construction of a visitor’s gallery and security hut at the Indian Immigration Monument, Palmyra, Region Six, the Ministry of Public Infrastructure, this is an increase of the sum originally budgeted for; from $38 million to $47 million. This had to do with an increase in the scope of work provided. This was awarded to Kascon Engineering Services.”In addition, there are contracts for constructing living quarters and storage bond for the Guyana Revenue Authority.In fact the storage bond, to be constructed at Corriverton, Berbice by Andre Vincente Construction Service, is slated to cost $124.8 million.A visitor’s gallery will be constructed at the Indian Immigration monument in PalmyraThen there are the roads. One such contract was for the construction of a new exit road from the Cheddi Jagan International Airport (CJIA) Terminal Building at Timehri.According to Harmon, this contract will cost $56.5 million and was awarded to Puran Brothers Disposal Incorporated.Also included in these contracts is one worth $558 million to construct a roundabout in Mahdia, Region Eight. In fact, this amount is an increase of $170 million from the previous budgeted sum. This contract was awarded to JR Ranch Incorporated.There was a contract for road work in Pomeroon, awarded to R&B Investment Incorporated — that cost $41.1 million; a contract for road works in three lots in Regions Five and Six that has been split into three lots.These are, Lot one: rehabilitation of Trafalgar access road for the sum of $53.6 million, rehabilitation of the main access road in Number 22 Village for $48.4 million, and rehabilitation of Last Street, Liverpool Village in Region Six, for$48.2 million. These contracts were awarded to A&A Engineering Services, Bardon Construction Services, and XL Engineering respectively.A loan agreement totalling US$11.6 million was even approved by cabinet. Harmon revealed that the loan comes from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and was signed last year.“It is related to the strengthening of the energy sector project. Specifically, the loan will finance a policy-based reform programme for development of the oil and gas sector and cleaner energy sources for electricity generation. Cabinet approved the agreement and directed that it be laid in the National Assembly.”These contracts come at a time when a no confidence motion has already been passed against the Government.
He had arrived in the city on Thursday but returned to Paris a day later where he was seen training with Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) during the afternoon. Lawyers for the two sides had tried to reach an agreement during closed-door reconciliation talks in the morning, but without success. “It is going to court,” Barcelona lawyer Josep Vives told journalists outside the court.After several hours of wrangling in court, the two sides were told to present their conclusions in writing on October 21 after which the judge will issue his ruling at a date which has yet to be set. The case revolves around a decision by Neymar, the world’s most expensive footballer, to quit Barcelona in 2017 and join PSG in a stunning coup for the French club. The move angered the Spanish giants who filed a complaint for breach of contract against the 27-year-old superstar.The legal battle between Brazilian football star Neymar and his former club Barcelona © AFPNeymar’s shock transfer to PSG for a world record 222 million euros ($250 million at the time) came less than a year after he signed a contract that would have kept him at the Spanish club until 2021.As well as filing a lawsuit, Barcelona refused to pay him the remainder of his contract renewal bonus, which he was to have received in instalments.The young Brazilian quickly hit back with a lawsuit demanding payment of the bonus in full. – ‘The taxman watching’ –Until now, the full value of the bonus has never been made public, but according to figures cited during the hearing, the gross sum was 64.4 million euros, of which Neymar received a first tranche of 20.75 million. After his transfer, Barcelona refused to pay him the remaining 43.65 million, which after tax amounted to a sum of 26 million euros.Lawyers for FC Barcelona said the club had made an early bonus payment to Neymar at the request of his family © AFP / LLUIS GENEThe Spanish club demanded he return the part of the bonus already received as well as 8.5 million euros plus interest in compensation for breach of contract.Neymar promptly countersued, demanding payment of the 26 million euros with interest.Addressing the court, Barca lawyer Carles McCragh said the money was “a loyalty bonus” linked to the length of the contract but the club had made an early payment at the request of Neymar’s family “who were having financial problems in Brazil”. Neymar’s legal team challenged that narrative, with German Martinez saying the initial payment was linked to “the signing of the contract” and completely unrelated to “remuneration for services rendered” on the pitch.According to El Mundo daily, the case is being closely watched by the Spanish authorities who are keen to know whether Neymar, who was a tax resident in 2017, paid his taxes on both the bonus and his transfer to PSG. The striker has been beset by legal problems since his arrival at Barcelona in 2013 from Brazil’s Santos.Neymar sent his lawyers but didn’t show up to court himself © AFP / PAU BARRENABarca valued the transfer at 57.1 million euros but Spanish prosecutors believe the amount paid was at least 83.3 million euros, trigging a string of legal cases in both countries, some of which remain unresolved.Since transferring to PSG, things have not been any easier. In the last few months, the superstar who has a huge social media following, found himself facing a rape allegation, which was dropped in August, and an assault charge for hitting a fan after PSG’s shock defeat in April’s French Cup final.0Shares0000(Visited 10 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Brazilian star player Neymar came briefly to Barcelona but did not show up in court © AFP/File / LLUIS GENEBarcelona, Spain, Sep 27 – Lawyers for Brazilian footballer Neymar and Spanish champions Barcelona went head-to-head in court on Friday after failing to avert a multi-million-dollar battle over a tangled contract dispute.The hearing opened in the early afternoon at a court in the Barcelona suburbs, but the star striker was not present.