Journalist brutally beaten in Kirovograd

first_img Follow the news on Ukraine November 19, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist brutally beaten in Kirovograd Receive email alerts Ukraine escalates “information war” by banning three pro-Kremlin media RSF_en Reporters Without Borders condemned a brutal attack on Alexander Danutsa, head of news and presenter on TV-Stymul in Kirovograd, central Ukraine in ongoing systematic harassment of independent media ahead of presidential elections on 21 November.The worldwide press freedom organisation warned the interior minister Mykola Bilokon in a letter “what might happen next to Alexander Danutsa” and urged him “to do everything possible to protect the journalist”.Danutsa was attacked in the early evening of 18 November as he got into the lift at the Turist Hotel that houses his TV studios. Two blackclad men followed him in and seized his camera and videotape and then brutally beat him.The tape contained evidence linking local authorities to fraudulent activities in advance of polling.His assailants told him that it was his last warning and that he should stop reporting on the election campaign. He was taken to hospital with concussion and bruising.Danutsa said he had been receiving constant threats in connection with his reporting. A few days earlier an anonymous caller told him, “there’s a plot reserved for you at the cemetery” and on another occasion, “they are waiting for you at the hospital”.The channel itself has also received numerous threats since it began broadcasting the news programme headed by Danutsa. TV-Stymul also relays opposition television Kanal 5 in the Kirovograd region. UkraineEurope – Central Asia Ukrainian media group harassed by broadcasting authority Help by sharing this information March 26, 2021 Find out more Organisation center_img News to go further News UkraineEurope – Central Asia Crimean journalist “confesses” to spying for Ukraine on Russian TV February 26, 2021 Find out more News News September 7, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Pringle calls for extra supports for children with special needs

first_img Google+ WhatsApp Google+ Twitter Harps come back to win in Waterford DL Debate – 24/05/21 Pinterest Previous articleDonegal fishermen left in ‘appalling situation’Next articleDonegal bus escort raises safety issues over return to school News Highland Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction Pringle calls for extra supports for children with special needs Facebook News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th center_img Twitter Pinterest By News Highland – January 15, 2021 AudioHomepage BannerNews WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook There are calls for programmes to be put in place for children with additional needs following reports of major regression for some children while schools have been closed.The Education Minister announced yesterday that special needs students at primary level will be able to return to the classroom next Thursday.However, Donegal Deputy Thomas Pringle told the Dail, its vital additional support is provided for these children.He also hit out at Norma Foley over the Government’s U-turns on school reopenings:Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/pringledailschools1pm.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 Important message for people attending LUH’s INR cliniclast_img read more

Run of the Mill

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Warner, Perry win top honours at Australian Cricket Awards

first_imgLESS than a year after completing the ban for his role in the ball-tampering scandal, David Warner was crowned the Allan Border medalist despite his horror Ashes series while Ellyse Perry took the Belinda Clark medal at the annual Australian Cricket Awards in Melbourne.Warner, who became clearly emotional during his acceptance speech, pipped Steven Smith by one vote (194 to 193) and Pat Cummins to the main men’s award following a prolific World Cup campaign and outstanding home summer which included his first Test triple century against Pakistan in Adelaide.The awards for international cricket are based on votes from players, umpires and the media on a 3-2-1 basis from each match for the period January 8, 2019 to January 9, 2020.Those performances on either side of the Ashes, which included impressive T20I returns which earned Warner that honour as well, were enough to counter an England series where he made just 95 runs in 10 innings. Over the voting period, Warner was Australia’s leading cross-format run-scorer with 1815 (881 in Tests, 647 in ODIs and 287 in T20Is). He had previously won the Allan Border Medal in 2016 and 2017.“I’m taken aback by this It’s been quite challenging,” he said as his voice cracked. “It’s hard to put a finger on where I should start. But as I said before, I want to thank Cricket Australia for that opportunity. The work that you guys did…I think was absolutely fantastic and I thank you again for that.“I want to really thank my home club team at Randwick-Petersham for giving me that opportunity to go out there and play grade cricket. I realised a lot of things during that time off that we don’t actually understand or realise when we’re in this bubble, the importance of what this game is and the smiles on the faces that we bring to a lot of people.“It’s just been remarkable to come back. With the World Cup, to not go the whole way was disappointing. The Ashes, retaining that was fantastic — I obviously didn’t turn up and I apologise for that — but I really had the hunger and determination to come back and do the best for our team. To come back and have a summer like that and just contribute, it really put a smile on my face — and I hope it did for you guys as well.”Perry, who had also previously won the Belinda Clark medal twice, took the major women’s award ahead of Alyssa Healy – who claimed the ODI and T20I titles – with her standout performance in the Ashes Test, where she scored 116 and 76 not, being a key part of her year which also saw her take 7 for 22 in the third ODI of the multi-point Ashes series which Australia won comfortably. Across all formats, Perry scored 783 runs at 97.87 and took 28 wickets at 16.50.“It’s actually a huge surprise,” Perry said, “especially considering how successful the team has been this year but also the outstanding individual performances, none more so than Midgy [Healy], but it’s been a really special 12 months, one which we’ll all savour for a long time to come. The most exciting thing is every 12 months we have seems to get bigger and better and new things come our way so a very special time to be involved.”The other main winners in the men’s awards were Marnus Labuschagne, who took the Test player title after his magnificent run since coming into the team as a concussion sub for Smith at Lord’s, and Aaron Finch who was named ODI player of the year after making 1141 runs at 51.86 with four centuries. (ESPN Cricinfo)Full list of awardsAllan Border Medal: David WarnerBelinda Clark Medal: Ellyse PerryMen’s Test player: Marnus LabuschagneMen’s ODI player: Aaron FinchMen’s T20I player: David WarnerMen’s domestic player: Shaun MarshMen’s Young player: Wes AgarWomen’s ODI player: Alyssa HealyWomen’s T20 player: Alyssa HealyWomen’s domestic player: Molly StranoWomen’s young plaer: Tayla VlaeminckCommunity champion: Corinne Halllast_img read more