Six charged after massive cocaine seizure at Philadelphia port

first_imgRapidEye/iStock(PHILADELPHIA) — Six men have been charged in connection with one of the largest drug seizures in U.S. history this week at the port of Philadelphia, where nearly 17 tons of cocaine with a street value of more than $1 billion was confiscated.None of the men are U.S. citizens and all have been charged with one count of knowingly conspiring to posses cocaine abroad a vessel in a U.S. jurisdiction, which carries the possible sentence of up to life in prison if convicted, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania William McSwain told reporters Friday.“To those who were aboard the ship, and are now in federal custody, I say this: You thought you could breeze into our port and then leave with enough cocaine to destroy millions of lives without getting caught,” he said. “You thought you were clever. You were wrong.”McSwain said that the case was “a prime example of why this country needs strong border protection.”“We must do everything we can to dismantle international drug trafficking organizations who destroy the lives of those who are addicted to drugs,” he said. “That begins with strong border protection and ends with aggressive prosecution of those who seek to profit from peddling poison.”The MSC Gayane ship, which was the length of three football fields and operated under the flag of Liberia, was escorted into the Philadelphia port after “anomalies” were detected in several of its containers. Further inspections involving fiber-optic scopes, narcotic-detector dogs and an X-ray scanner led to the discovery of 15,000 bricks of cocaine, weighing a total of about 35,000 pounds, officials said at the news conference.“Laid end to end, all the bricks cover a distance of about two and a half miles,” said Casey Durst of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection. “Really, it’s just incredible.”McSwain emphasized that he was limited in what he could say “at this early stage in the investigation.”“We’re not going to get into the details of how the cocaine got onto the boat and what the plans were,” he said.According to a criminal complaint filed on Tuesday, the MSC Gayne’s second mate told investigators that he was told by the ship’s chief officer to come down to the deck after the ship departed Peru. He said he saw nets near the ship’s crane that contained bags with handles, and that he and four others had hoisted the bags onto the ship and loaded them into containers. He said he had been promised $50,000 for the job, according to the complaint.Another crew member also told authorities that he assisted in loading bales of cocaine that were brought alongside the ship by smaller boats both before and after they docked in Peru.By the time all the operations were complete, officials said, $1 billion worth of cocaine was secured, secreted and headed to Philadelphia, where it was ultimately seized and impounded.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Augustine Heights home perfect for entertaining

first_imgThe kitchen and dining area at 57 Benezet Drive, Augustine HeightsOther features of the home include an in-ground saltwater pool with glass fencing that offers full automation including touch screen internal control and phone application access.The property, on an 808sq m block, has four separate living areas. One of those living areas is upstairs, where there is also a huge main bedroom including ensuite with double sink, bath and double shower, feature tiling and a walk-in robe.All Properties Group Greater Springfield-Augustine Heights agent Leanne Ollerenshaw said the attention to detail was unparalleled and the next owner would not be disappointed when they entered this private executive oasis. The home at 57 Benezet Drive, Augustine Heights is like newTEGAN and Matthew Horwood have only lived in their Augustine Heights home for nine months.However due to a job opportunity overseas, Mr Horwood, a construction manager in the oil and gas industry, is to relocate to Houston with his family.The couple built the modern Metricon (Franklin 40) home at 57 Benezet Drive, which has four large bedrooms all with built-ins. “We chose the area because Tegan knew the area and liked the look of it,” Mr Horwood said.“She liked that it was a developing area and that there were new homes and young families here, like ours.”More from newsDigital inspection tool proves a property boon for REA website3 Apr 2020The Camira homestead where kids roamed free28 May 2019The outdoor entertaining area at 57 Benezet Drive, Augustine HeightsThe Horwoods have two daughters, aged 2 and 4, who enjoy the huge flat backyard with a built-in play fort. Mr Horwood said he slightly modified the design of the home to incorporate a media room downstairs.He said he closed off the study so it could be a bedroom, and added a third bathroom, with a shower downstairs.last_img read more

Antonio Conte: Diego Costa’s Chelsea Future Closed Since January

first_img28-year-old Costa claimed Conte sent him a text message last June, indicating his services are no longer required at Chelsea.However, Chelsea are very close to announcing the signing of Real Madrid’s Alvaro Morata for a reported fee of £60m, a signing Conte referred to as “good”.“We have added a fantastic striker, even at a young age he has won a lot already and we are looking forward to welcoming him to the squad,” “I think for sure this is a good signing for us. He is a young player, but has a lot of experience, he went to Juventus and Real Madrid. He has a lot of experience and I think this is a good sign for us.” Conte concluded.RelatedDiego Costa’s Behaviour Is “Disgraceful” – England LegendAugust 15, 2017In “England”VIDEO: Watch Antonio Conte Wildly Laugh Off Diego Costa’s ClaimsAugust 18, 2017In “England”Diego Costa Vows He Will Not Return To Chelsea, Wants Atletico MoveAugust 17, 2017In “England” LONDON, ENGLAND – APRIL 05: Antonio Conte manager / head coach of Chelsea and Diego Costa of Chelsea after the Premier League match between Chelsea and Manchester City at Stamford Bridge on April 5, 2017 in London, England. (Photo by Catherine Ivill – AMA/Getty Images)Chelsea manager, Antonio Conte has noted that Diego Costa’s future at Stamford Bridge was “clear” since last January.Costa, who did not travel with Chelsea for their pre-season tour of Asia, fell out with the Italian manager during last season over the state of his fitness but was later recalled to the team.Addressing reporters in Beijing, Conte said: “I don’t like to talk about players that don’t stay here, but the only thing I can tell you, in January, the Costa situation was very clear, for the club, for him and his agent,”“For me the situation is closed.”last_img read more