ShareTweet In a statement following the attack, Gillens Fuels said: “It is sad that you can’t lock the gates of your business after a hard days work and for your property to be left alone.“We are a small family run business who work hard to provide a good service to the people of the town, a business that has been operating many years and does so much for local charities and people.“It is disgusting that people can enter our property and vandalise our lorries and then set it on fire.“This is a fuel yard filled with kerosene, gas oil and bottled gas. “The lorry was parked next to numerous oil lorries with kerosene on board.“If that fire had not been contained in time our whole livelihood would have been up in flames not to mention the businesses on either side of us. “Someone could have been seriously hurt but Thankfully no one WAS hurt and we would like to thank the fire service acted so quickly.“To those who entered our property and done this CCTV will be checked and police are on the matter.”POLICE STILL ON THE TRAIL OF ARSONISTS WHO TARGETED GILLENS FUEL YARD was last modified: November 16th, 2016 by John2John2 Tags: #CONSTABLE DEVLINCRegganHEATHER ROADPOLICE STILL ON THE TRAIL OF ARSONISTS WHO TARGETED GILLENS FUEL YARD Poliee received a report of a lorry on fire at Gillens fuel yard on Heather Road.Substantial damage was caused to the DAF lorry and also to a JCB front loader.Investigating officer Constable Devlin said: “I would ask anyone with any information about this incident to contact Strand Road Police Station on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference number 1445 of 21/10/16.“Or if someone would prefer to provide information without giving their details, they can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers and speak to them anonymously on 0800 555 111.” POLICE in Derry have renewed their appeal for information about those behind an arson attack at a family run fuel yard last month.They have been studying CCTV from the yard in the Creggan housing estate but still need the public’s assistance in helping to catch and prosecute those responsible.The arson attack happened around 10.30 pm on Friday, October, 21.
ShareTweet Brooke Park was reopened to the public in September 2016 following an extensive £5.6m regeneration of this historic landscape. The project was funded by Council, The National Lottery Heritage Fund and the Department for Communities (DfC) and has been a resounding success with the public to date.The ‘Spring Open Day’ will be a celebration and appreciation of Brooke Park which has provided an invaluable green space for recreational and leisure activities since 1901 – and will include fun wildlife workshops, mucky fingers, tepees, arts and crafts, storytelling and much more!Speaking at the launch event, Mayor Boyle said he was delighted to be hosting the ‘Spring Open Day’ in the beautiful grounds of the recently regenerated park. BROOKE Park will be the place to be this month as the Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District Council, Cllr John Boyle invites local children along for some family fun with a whole host of activities on the menu.The ‘Spring Open Day’ is taking place at Brooke Park today, Saturday, March 23, from 12 noon – 4 pm. There will also be an opening of the ‘Gate Lodge Exhibition’ displaying the history of the park to the public. Derry and Strabane ColuncilMayor hosting ‘Spring Open Day’ at Brooke Park todayMayor John BoyleSpring Open Day “Brooke Park has undergone a major transformation recently and I can think of no better location for a family fun day,” he said.“I’d like to invite as many people as possible to come along and enjoy the family-friendly activities.“The transformation of the park into a state of the art facility for leisure, play and relaxation has enriched the lives of so many people by providing a hub for social and leisure activity.“I’d also like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Department for Communities without whose financial support this project wouldn’t have been possible.”Anna Carragher, Chair of the NI Committee of The National Lottery Heritage Fund said: “We’re delighted to see the launch of the ‘Spring Open Day’ and to attend the opening of the ‘Gate Lodge Exhibition’ at Brooke Park to the public.“Since its reopening, the park has been enjoyed by people of all ages, offering a place to socialise, play, relax and unwind. “We were delighted to have been able to use National Lottery player’s money to help bring this historic park back to life via this fabulous project. “We are so pleased to see so many people using the restored park, getting out in the fresh air and reconnecting with nature”Paul McNaught of the Department for Communities added: “I have no doubts that this event will be a fantastic day out for the whole family to enjoy.“Brooke Park has been a great success and the Department is delighted to have contributed to its regeneration.”In keeping with Council’s aim to create a zero waste Council area, there will also be a number of fun activities to raise awareness about protecting and enhancing the environment. Parks Manager Emma Barron said the ‘Spring Open Day’ is a great opportunity for children and parents to find out how they can make a difference.“Throughout the day we will providing a range of environmental activities for children, including badge making, building bird boxes, environmental art and planting seeds and plants to take home” she said.“Indeed, the ‘Spring Open Day’ will be a great way of promoting Brooke Park’s natural environment. “It will also help children and parents develop a better understanding and appreciation of the history of the park, its importance in terms of wildlife and environment, and the positive role they can play in safeguarding its future for generations to come.”Mayor hosting ‘Spring Open Day’ at Brooke Park today was last modified: March 24th, 2019 by John2John2 Tags:
2) Transparency, accountability & operation of Executive3) Petition of concern4) Rights, language and identity5) Sustainability, stability & operation of the institutionsIt is the first fully-fledged talks process since negotiations collapsed in February 2018.The North of Ireland has been without a devolved power-sharing government for more than two and a half years, after the DUP and Sinn Féin split in a bitter row over the cash-for-ash RHI scandal.There have been several failed talks processes since January 2017.Last month, the British and Irish governments agreed to convene a new set of talks from May 7 which they insist will be short and focused.In their statement issued after meeting the Stormont party leaders on Tuesday, they said Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and British Prime Minister Theresay May will review progress at the end of May.There will be the weekly round-table meeting involving party leaders and the working groups will deal with several key issues.They will be made up of three representatives from each of the five parties in the talks, and representatives from the British and Irish governments will advise them.Strand one will be chaired by the current head of the NI Civil Service David Sterling.The second strand will be overseen by Hugh Widdis, departmental solicitor and former assembly legal counsel.Strand three, which is regarded as toughest as it deals with rights/marriage and the Irish language, will be chaired by former culture department permanent secretary, Paul Sweeney.Ex-NI civil service boss Sir Malcolm McKibbin will look after Strand Four.And Strand Five will be led by the permanent secretary of finance, Sue Gray.Several parties at Stormont have called for the reform of the petition of concern mechanism – it is effectively a Stormont veto which the DUP used to block same-sex marriage.The talks were announced by the British and Irish governments after the murder of journalist Lyra McKee.At her funeral in St Anne’s Cathedral, politicians came under pressure to solve the Stormont impasse.The talks are beginning just days after council elections, which saw a surge of support for smaller parties not aligned to either unionism or nationalism.Irish and British governments set out talks plan in bid to break Stormont deadlock was last modified: May 7th, 2019 by John2John2 Tags: ShareTweet British Secretary Karen BradleydupIrish and British governments set out talks plan in bid to break Stormont deadlockSDLPSinn FeinSTORMONT HOUSEtalksTanaiste Simon Coveney The leaders of the five main parties at Stormont will also hold weekly meetings with the NI Secretary and Tanaiste (Irish deputy PM) to “take stock” and set the agenda.The talks involving the NI parties and governments got under way on Tuesday afternoon.The plans for the five strands are as follows: 1) Programme for Government SDLP leader Colum Eastwood addressing the press at Stormont as all party talks get underwayTHE British and Irish governments have set out details of how they intend to proceed with talks to restore Northern Ireland power-sharing.In a joint statement, they said a series of working groups would be set up to deal with key sticking points.